How to update Mobile Number and Email Id in Income Tax E filing Site?
Direct taxes, is the major source of tax revenues to the central government. The vision of the Income Tax Department is to be a partner in the nation building process through progressive tax policy, efficient and effective tax administration and improved voluntary compliance. Keeping this vision in mind the e-filing portal was developed. The objective of the income tax e-filing portal is to provide a single window access to the income tax related services for citizens and other stakeholders.
Income-Tax Department uses the registered contact details (Mobile number & E-mail ID) for all communications related to e-Filing. It is mandatory that all tax payers must have a valid contact details registered in e-Filing portal.
Issues faced when proper contact details are not provided
- It was noticed that many registered users were not having authenticated contact details in e-Filing or may have provided details of other persons for convenience.
- This prevented the Department from interacting directly with taxpayers on their personal email and Mobile.
- Further, it was observed that in many cases taxpayers were not able to reset their password since the email communication from the Department may be sent to their registered email or Mobile which may be different from the taxpayer’s personal email or mobile.
Step taken by the Department to reduce the errors
- In order to get rid of the chaos, the IT department in 2014 initiated a provision which says that ‘one mobile number or email id can be used for maximum 10 accounts as primary contact’.
- The provision ensures that the family members (not more than 10 separate users) can have the same mobile number registered in their accounts.
- So that the entire communication received from the department (for any member of the family) is visible at a common email or number shared.
- Still, it was advised for the taxpayers to enter their personal contact details rather than details on a shared basis (this keeps the privacy between you and the IT department).
Process of updating and authenticating the contact details for New User:
- Provide the correct Mobile Number and Email ID during the Registration in the e-Filing portal
- Activation link would be sent to the registered E-mail ID and a One Time Password (OTP also called PIN) is sent to the registered Mobile Number.
- User needs to Click on the Link provided in the E-mail and enter the OTP received in the mobile number for Successful activation of the registered user in e-Filing portal
Process of updating and authenticating the contact details for Registered User:
- After the user logs in to the e-filing account, the user is requested to update the current Mobile number and E-mail ID.
- The user should update their personal Mobile number and Email so that the updated contact particulars are registered with the Department or confirm that the Mobile number and email ID already registered is their valid personal contacts.
- Upon submitting the details, Department would immediately send OTPs (PIN1 & PIN2) to new mobile number and Email ID.
- The respective PINs PIN1 and PIN2 received through Mobile number and E-mail ID should be entered by them in the respective input fields to authenticate that the email ID and mobile are correct.
- Upon successful validation the Mobile number and email ID would be updated in the taxpayer’s profile and the process would be complete.
- If the PINs are not received within specified time (say 2 minutes), the taxpayer may opt for “Resend PINs” option. The PINs once received will be valid for 24 hours.
- The taxpayers are advised to validate the contact details using the PINs received within 24 hours. If PINs are not validated within 24 hours, the taxpayer has to login and follow the same procedure as above again.
Whenever we login into our Income Tax Account, at that time we get an auto pop up to update our contact details and if the contact details are already updated then we get the message of update address details. With general human tendency we usually read those messages and just click on skip button by thinking that we will do this next time and that next time never comes. But because of this habit we forget that how important is that personal information of that user for any of our income tax return related query or refund, etc.
Taxpayers are advised to follow the process mentioned above in the interest of the security of their e-filing account and to directly receive communication from the Department about status of processing and issue of refunds etc.