GST Update: Tamil Nadu Government Advisory Panel on GST
FINANCE (FINANCE COMMISSION-I) DEPARTMENT
The Honble Minister for Finance and Human Resources Management in the Revised Budget Speech 2021-22 has announced that the Government will establish an advisory council to develop a Federal Fiscal Model with renowned experts on legislation involving revenue and taxation (including GST).
2. Accordingly, Government hereby constitutes an Advisory Council to develop a Federal Fiscal Model under the Chairmanship of Thiru Arvind P.Datar, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court of India along with the following Members:-
- Thiru K.Vaitheeswaran, Advocate, Madras High Court.
- Thiru G.Natarajan, Advocate. Madras High Court.
- Thiru Suresh Raman, Vice President and Region Head, TCS-Service Sector.
- Thiru Srivats Ram, Managing Director. Wheels India Limited.
- Thiru K.Velmurugan, President, Hosur Small and Tiny Industries Association.
3. The terms of reference of the Advisory Council are as follows:
- To study the fiscal powers of the State and the Union with special reference to GST.
- To study the levy of Cesses and Surcharges by the Union and its impact on the State’s finances.
- To analyse the fiscal scenario of the State.
- To identify the problems with the institutional mechanisms that supports GST which include the independence of decision makers and constitution of GST Tribunal.
- To identify the compliance issues faced by the large Industries, MSMEs, Service Sector and Consumers in order to bring them to the notice of the GST Council.
- To identify difficulties with respect to (1ST rates applied to various commodities.
- To suggest strategies to improve CIST collections and other taxes of the State.
- To study the best practices adopted in other states with respect to GST including use of technology and artificial intelligence to identify tax evasion.
- Any other issues which, in the opinion of the Chairman. is relevant to the Union-State fiscal relations.
An officer from Central Board of Indirect Taxes 86 Customs in the Pay Level 13 in the pay range of Rs.123100-215900 (as per Pay Matrix of 7th Central Pay Commission) shall be appointed on deputation as Member Secretary to the Advisory Council.
The Advisory Council constituted in para-2 of above shall be treated as First Class Committee for purpose of payment of TA/ DA.
The order issued with the concurrence of the Finance (CMPC) with its PSL No.202204PSL0147.