How to get online PAN for Free Using Aadhaar?
PAN stands for Permanent account number through which, all tax related information for a person/company is recorded. This acts as the primary key for storage of information and is shared across the country. Hence one person cannot have more than one PAN card or two people cannot have the same PAN. PAN is valid for lifetime.
The Finance Minister through budget 2020 has introduced a new facility where individual will be able to get instant PAN through Aadhaar number without providing a detailed application form. The facility is fully paperless and no physical submission is required. The facility for allotment of Instant PAN is for those applicants who are having a valid Aadhaar number. PAN is issued in PDF format to applicants, which is free of cost.
Procedure to apply for PAN online for free:
Step 1: Go to https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home and click on “Instant PAN through Aadhaar
It will redirect you to the Instant PAN through Aadhaar page.
Step 2: Now click on “Get new PAN” button
It will redirect you to the PAN application form
Step 3: Filing of PAN form
After step 2 you will be asked to provide your Aadhaar number for PAN allotment
Enter the 12 digit Aadhaar number, Select “I confirm that” check box, Enter Captcha and click on “Generate Aadhaar OTP”
OTP will be send to the mobile number registered or link with the Aadhaar number. Enter the OTP and validate the Aadhaar number.
Now validate the Aadhaar details i.e. the address mentioned on the Aadhaar card. Also validate your email id.
After providing above details click on “Submit PAN request”.
After you have submitted details a 15 digit acknowledgment number will get generated. Save it in your records.
Check your PAN card status on by repeating step 2 and clicking on “Check Status/ Download PAN”
FAQ on allotment of PAN based on Aadhaar
1. What is PAN?
Answer: PAN, or Permanent Account Number, is a 10-digit alphanumeric unique number. The Income-tax department issues PAN as per the Income Tax Act & Rules. PAN is also required by financial institutions and agencies.
2. What is Aadhaar based Instant PAN?
Answer: Aadhaar-based instant PAN allotment service is to allot PAN in near-real time. You are required to quote a valid Aadhaar number issued by Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and is not linked with any PAN. The e-KYC data of that Aadhaar number is exchanged with the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). After due process of e KYC data in Income-tax database, you get a PAN.
3. Is this PAN valid? Is it different from the PAN issued via other modes of application?
Answer: Yes, this PAN is valid. It is not different from the PAN issued by Income-tax department via other modes of application. However, this PAN is paperless, online and free of cost.
4. If I apply for Instant PAN, how will I get the allotted PAN?
Answer: You can download your PAN by submitting the Aadhaar number at Check Status of PAN. You will also get the PAN in PDF format by your email, If your email-id is registered with Aadhaar.
5. Do I have to pay for using this facility of Aadhaar based Instant PAN?
Answer: No, this facility is free of cost.
6. What is e-PAN?
Answer: e-PAN is a digitally signed PAN card issued in electronic format by the Income-tax department.
7. Is e-PAN a valid form of PAN?
Answer: Yes, e-PAN is a valid proof of PAN. e-PAN contains a QR code having demographic details of PAN applicant such as name, date of birth and photograph. These details are accessible through a QR code reader. e-PAN is duly recognised by Notification No. 7 of 2018 dated 27.12.2018, issued by the Principal Director General of Income-Tax (Systems). To view notification, click here (https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/eFiling/Portal/e-PAN_PDF_and_App_Links/notification_7_2018_pan.pdf).
8. From where can I download the QR code reader?
Answer: This can be downloaded from the link provided at the website ( Download QR Code Reader).
9. Can I use this facility if I already have a PAN? Can I apply for another PAN?
Answer: No. As per provisions of Section 272B (1) of Income Tax Act, a person having more than one PAN has to pay a penalty of Rs.10,000.
10. Who can apply for allotment of Instant PAN through Aadhaar e-KYC?
Answer: PAN applicants, who have an Aadhaar number from UIDAI and have registered their mobile number with Aadhaar, can apply.
11. Can foreign citizens apply for PAN through e-KYC mode?
12. Is there any mandatory requirement to apply through e-KYC?
Answer: Yes, mobile number of PAN applicant should be registered with UIDAI in Aadhaar database.
13. Can I apply for PAN if my Aadhaar Card is not active?
Answer: No, you cannot apply.
14. How is Aadhaar verified through instant PAN?
Answer: UIDAI sends an OTP to the registered mobile number through the process of Aadhaar e-KYC.
15. What if I do not get an OTP?
Answer: You can resubmit the Aadhaar e-KYC page to get a new OTP. If you still don’t get an OTP, you have to contact UIDAI.
16. How many times can OTP be generated?
Answer: Any number of times.
17. If my Aadhaar authentication gets rejected during e-KYC, what should I do?
Answer: Aadhaar authentication may get rejected due to wrong OTP. The problem can be resolved by entering the correct OTP. If it still gets rejected, you have to contact the UIDAI.
18. Do I need Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) for applying for PAN card through Aadhaar based Instant PAN facility?
19. Do I need to submit the physical copy of KYC application or proof of Aadhaar card?
Answer: No. This is an online process. No paperwork is required.
20. Do I need to upload a scanned photo, signature etc. for e-KYC?
21. Do I have to send acknowledgement or any document if an instant PAN is applied through e-KYC Aadhaar mode?
Answer: No. PAN applicant can use Aadhaar number to know the status of Instant PAN application and generate PAN in PDF.
22. Do I need to do in-person verification (IPV)?
Answer: No, Aadhaar based e-KYC does not require any in-person verification.
23. Which are the centres for PAN allotment through e-KYC?
Answer: PAN allotment through Aadhaar e-KYC is allowed only through e-Filing website
24. Can we give an address different from the address on the Aadhaar card?
Answer: No. Address as available with UIDAI in Aadhaar database will be saved in PAN database.
25. How do I check my status of Instant PAN application?
Answer: Once request is submitted, the applicant can check the status of the request by following the below steps:
(a) To download PAN, please go to the e-Filing website of Income-tax department. (Url: https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in)
(b) Click the link- ‘Instant PAN through Aadhaar'(https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/ApplyePANThroughAadhaar.html).
(c) Click the link- ‘Check Status of PAN’ (https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/ePANStatus.html?lang=eng).
(d) Submit the Aadhaar number in the space provided, then submit the OTP sent to the Aadhaar registered mobile number.
(e) Check the status of application- whether PAN is allotted or not.
(f) If PAN is allotted, click on the download link to get a copy of the PAN pdf.
26. Will I get a physical PAN card?
Answer: No. You will be issued an e-PAN which is a valid form of PAN.
27. How do I get a physical PAN card?
Answer: If a PAN has been allotted, you can get a printed physical PAN card by submitting PAN on the links below-
28. Can I make any changes in my existing PAN through this facility?
Answer: No. Please use the Change Request Facility provided on the links below-
29. If I cannot use the facility of Instant PAN allotment, whom should I contact?
Answer: You can mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org