Constitution of an Expert Group on Tobacco Taxation
Government of India
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
(Tobacco Control Division)
Nirman Bhawan, New Delhi- 110108
Dated, the 12th October, 2021
Subject: Constitution of an Expert Group on Tobacco Taxation – reg.
The undersigned is directed to say that tax and price policies are widely recognized to be one of the most effective means of influencing the demand for and thus the consumption of tobacco products. To develop a proposal for comprehensive tax policy for all tobacco products with a public health perspective, it has been decided to constitute an Expert Group with the following members;
- Shri Vikas Sheel, Additional Secretary & Mission Director – MoHFW
- Dr. Pulkesh Kumar. Deputy Secretary- MoHFW – Coordinator
- Representative from National Institute of Public Finance and Policy, New Delhi
- Dr Rijo M. John, Health Economist, Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kerala
- Representative from NITI Aayog
- Representative from Tax Research Unit, Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance
- Representative from GST Council
- Representative from Department of Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs
- Representative from WHO Country Office for India
2. The Terms of Reference of the above proposed Expert Group will be;
- To analyze the existing tax structure for all forms of tobacco (smoking and smokeless).
- Develop a roadmap for tobacco tax policy and recommend immediate steps to be taken for making India MPOWER compliant with regards to ‘R’ component (highest level of achievement).
- To suggest various options/models of tax rates /standards for consideration in the budget 2022-23 and future budget sessions.
3. This issues with the approval of the competent authority.
Under Secretary to Govt. of India
All the Members of the Expert Group